Friday, February 22, 2013

Punta Arenas 2002


Today I remembered again why we moved to Florida. I had on 4 layers
& could have used more. I forgot to take my gloves which were in my
windbreaker.  As we rode to Otway Bay Penguin Colony, I noticed trees
were leaning in the same direction. Along the way we stopped to look at
some wild protected birds similar to Ostrich. Their color blended in so
well with their surroundings they were difficult to see at first.

Well, at the Penguin Colony we were almost blown away. If we had been
home, we would have had our hurricane shutters down. I would like to
know how high the wind was blowing. It was enough to make walking
difficult. It was a lengthy walking distance out to the colony, but well 
worth it. There were hundreds of penguins walking around. They are
used to people & Sometimes almost seemed to pose. I was quite near 
some one time & stopped to take a picture. When I turned to walk on,
I think I almost stepped on one which had apparently crossed the path
behind me. If got a picture of it going into it’s burrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment